Using a POP3 Mailer to read your Gmail account
Follow these steps to configure your Gmail account
- Use your web browser to log into your Gmail account.
- On the right side of the screen click on the down arrow to drop down the Settings menu.
- On the drop-down Settings menu click on Settings.
- On the Settings screen click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- On the Forwarding and POP/IMAP screen select the options as shown below.
This will allow the POP3 mailer on your home computer (Windows Mail, Outlook,
Outlook Express or Eudora) to retrieve your mail from the GMail mail server and
will leave a copy of your messages in the Trash when you retrieve them. Be sure
to click on |Save Changes| before closing continuing.
Now configure your POP3 email program.
GMail provides specific instructions for how to set up and configure
Apple Mail, BlackBerry, iPhone, Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, and Other
Click on this link and choose your type of POP3 device/software about halfway
down the page.
Retrieving email from your other email accounts
GMail can access your other email accounts (such as your BU account, your
MyMTS account, your wcgwave account, etc.) and collect all your email into
your one GMail account. This means you get all your email in one place and,
since GMail has excellent spam filters, most of the spam is filtered out and
put in the Spam folder of your GMail account.
- To set up GMail to import mail from your other accounts, click on the
Accounts and Import tab on the Settings window.
- On the Accounts and Import screen you can click on the |Add a POP3
mail account you own} to add another email address that you want GMail
to check for incoming mail.
- An |Add another email address you own| window will open. Enter the email
address you want GMail to check and click on the |Next Step| button..
- A new |Add another email address you own| window will open. You probably
want to just send the outgoing mail through GMail so choose the top option
and leave the rest blank. Go on to the next step.
- A new |Add another email address you own| window will open. This step
is to verify that you do in fact own the email address. Just click on the
[Send Verification] button.
- When you clicked on the [Send Verification] button, GMail sent an email
message to that email address. The email contains a confirmation code. You
need to check for the message using your usual method of checking email
to find the message and type in the code into the window shown below. Once
you have entered the code, GMail will start checking that email address for
any new mail and retrieve any messages that arrive.